High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) - The Devil you say?!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

OK, if you've read my blog at all, before now, you know how much I love science!

Actually, I think it's one of the major reasons I took my parents' affinity for healthy food to heart (heh, no pun intended!). Did you know that my mother is asking me for advice now? She was my mentor!

Anyway, not that I am considered a fully 'accredited' person (at least, in terms of the World's idea as to proper health & nutritional education), but I do love a good scientific study. Especially when they are done right. To me, a "meta-analysis" or a 'generalized' 'population statistical analysis' are so hokey, that I hardly pick up with their findings and mass-market it, as there are SO many flaws to these 'so-called' "Scientific Methods".

That being said, Princeton University decided to put those 'corn refiners' industries' refutes, about HFCS being JUST the same as table sugar, to rest!

Now, I agree, our body, in relation to insulin, sees sugar as sugar, regardless of the source. It can cause a major insulin spike, setting off inflammation in the body, causing all sorts of metabolic havoc (this to be covered in another topic, another day). Personally, if I have too much sugar (sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, bread, corn, etc), then my eczema returns FULL force!

But those lovely folks at Princeton University proved what we all assumed HFCS to be: A major issue in today's fight against obesity in this Country! Let's be clear here, not a contributor to weight gain, but of "characteristic signs of a dangerous condition known in humans as the metabolic syndrome, including abnormal weight gain, significant increases in circulating triglycerides and augmented fat deposition, especially visceral fat around the belly."

Oh, and one more thing, did you know they've found that HFCS contains MERCURY? Yeah! Fun stuff to let the kid guzzle down after that pizza eh? (Not that I'm a saint, but I'm just sayin'....).

Fructose is NOT good for your body, without it's natural packaging. Eat an orange, eat an apple, but for God's sake, stop giving the kids a glass of juice. Don't blame me for this statement, watch this! (OR, if you prefer, the hour and a half long (full) version).

Don't shoot the messenger! Am I wrong? Are these scientists wrong? Well, personally, I know how sugar of ANY form affects me, so take a good long look at your life and daily food choices. Walk with me in banning all this junk from your life! You just may live a longer, happier, healthier life. If I can affect just one person with this blog, then I will have accomplished my goal. Anything beyond that and it will be a major bonus!


I'll leave this post short and further ponderances on this may be saved for another day, but one thing is clear, You Can't Believe EVERYTHING you see on TV!!!!


BTW, if you are curious as to why I REFUSE to use Agave Nector as a sweetener, check out these sources:


I would say "Live long and prosper", but that's showing my geeky side a bit too much for today, so "Here's to your health"! (Meh, I need 'good' tagline!).

Suggested Reading